I highly appreciate reader submissions and I receive about an average of 10-20 emails a day. These submissions are as diverse as can be. One thing I’ve learned: There’s a fine line between ‘pointing me to a cool product/site’ and just flat out saying ‘you have to link to this’. When you approach a blogger and seriously want to be considered to be featured on their site, keep a few things in mind:
1. Send a personal email. Show that you actually read their blog. Address the blogger by name. Mention a recent post you’ve enjoyed and explain why you think your submission is a good fit.
2. Suggest, don’t ask. Suggest a product/site/artist for review but do NOT flat out ask to be linked up. If a blogger thinks your submission is a great fit for their blog they will get to work right away anyway. Let it be up to them. Always remember that most people don’t like to be asked to do something. Also, NEVER ask to be added to someone’s blogroll.
3. Keep it short. A lot of bloggers, like me, do this in their free time and have an overflowing inbox. Keep your email short and sweet.
4. Prepare a potential ‘post’. Chances of your suggestion being considered raise tremendously if you prepare a possible blurb about your suggested product/design/link. The blogger can then take that writeup as a starting point for a post. Do NOT send Microsoft Word documents, or PDFs. Everything should be in your email, ready for ‘copy and paste’.
5. Enclose images/screenshots. Include images but make sure that they are low resolution (screen resolution: 72dpi) and do not enclose more than 3-4. If there’s an image downloads page available, make sure to mention the link.
6. Don’t take it personal if you don’t hear back. Sometimes it’s hard for bloggers to keep up with their ever-growing inbox. If you are confident that your submission would be a perfect match, you could potentially resend your email with a sweet little note saying ‘just in case you might now have seen this the first time’. But do not resend more than twice.
7. Say Thank You. Should your submission have been considered, make sure to send a note of thanks.