“Surround yourself with people where your desired behavior is the normal behavior.”
– James Clear
(Thank you Cengic)
“When you go out into the woods and you look at trees, you see all these different trees. And some of them are bent, and some of them are straight, and some of them are evergreens, and some of them are whatever. And you look at the tree and you allow it. You see why it is the way it is. You sort of understand that it didn’t get enough light, and so it turned that way. And you don’t get all emotional about it. You just allow it. You appreciate the tree. The minute you get near humans, you lose all that. And you are constantly saying, ‘You’re too this, or I’m too this.’ That judging mind comes in. And so I practice turning people into trees. Which means appreciating them just the way they are.”
– Ram Dass
“The body seems to feel beauty when exposed to it as it feels the campfire or sunshine, entering not by the eyes alone, but equally through all one’s flesh like radiant heat.”
– John Muir
“Love is what remains when all other emotions are gone.
– Naval Ravikant
Gasp! German photographer Roland Halbe has taken these photographs of Casa Klotz, a rural beach house in Chile by architect Mathias Klotz.
My birthday and the new year coincide which always results in a reflection tornado. Here goes:
MY 2023 INTENTIONS:
– More firsts!
– Embrace softness.
– Be open to love.
– Believe in (my) magic.
– Dream bigger.
– Keep asking: “What if it was easy?”
– Listen to my inner whispers.
– More speaking up, setting boundaries, lovingly.
– Recognize openings and moments of ease.
– Pay attention to when I am happy. Repeat those moments and dial them up to 11!
– Notice when the universe is cheering me on.
– No assumptions. (Ask more questions.)
– Keep building things that make the world better in 100 years.
– Gently notice when I am not fully present. Redirect.
– When my body contracts and my heart wants to close, breathe, stay open, lean in with curiosity.
– Live with a sense of giving not taking: Regularly ask: Would I miss ____ if it was gone? What am I doing to help ____ exist and thrive?
– Don’t push the river. Don’t try to hold it back. Flow.
– Embrace and trust standing on collaborative shoulders.
– Seek out rooms filled with gentle strangers.
– Be brave. (Growth happens on the edge of discomfort.)
– Notice and celebrate what’s working.
– See beauty in everything.
– Never withhold love.
– Dance with the universe.
WHAT TO REMEMBER:
– Everything is alive.
– The universe is friendly.
– Time is an illusion.
– Energy is visible.
– Fear is absence of love.
– I am exactly where I need to be.
– We are put on earth to love.
– Clarity is your friend. Interpret mixed signals as a no.
– A belief is a thought you keep thinking. (You can change it.)
– Love, joy and peace are deep and pure states of being. (Notice them!)
– Another world is possible.
– We are here to transform, not win.
– It takes courage to be kind and have a positive outlook in life.
– Money is energy.
– Dreamers shift norm and possibility.
– My humanity is caught up with your humanity.
– Safety is the presence of connection.
– Vulnerability is a door to deeper connection.
– Everything is figureoutable.
– Love starts with me.
– Trust breeds magic.
– Our life is our way home.
Happy my (Jan 2) birthday to you. And happy 2023! Thank you for visiting this little internet garden of mine.
1. Finding your true self is an act of love. Expressing it is an act of rebellion.
2. A sign of growth is having more tolerance for discomfort. But it’s also having less tolerance for bullshit.
3. Who you are is not your fault, but it is your responsibility.
4. Desires that rise in agitation are more aligned with your ego. Desires that arise in stillness are more aligned with your soul.
5. Procrastination is the refusal or inability to be with difficult emotions.
6. The moment before letting to is often when we grip the hardest.
7. You don’t find your ground by looking for stability. You find your ground by relaxing into stability.
8. What you hate most in others is usually what you hate most in yourself.
9. The biggest life hack is becoming your own best friend. Everything is easier when you do.
10. The more comfortable you become in your own skin, the less you need to manufacture the world around you for comfort.
11. An interesting thing happens when you start to like yourself. You no longer need all the things you thought you need to be happy.
12. If you don’t train your mind to appreciate what is good, you’ll continue to look for something better in the future, even when things are great.
13. The belief that there is some future moment more worth our presence than the one we’re in right now is why we miss our lives.
14. There is no set of conditions that leads to lasting happiness. Lasting happiness doesn’t come from conditions, but from learning to flow with conditions.
15. We often need to get out of alignment with the rest of the world to get back into alignment with ourselves.
16. Real confidence looks like humility. You no longer need to advertise your value because it comes from a place that does not require the validation of others.
17. Negative thoughts will not manifest a negative life. But unconscious negative thoughts will.
18. Bullying yourself into enlightenment does not work. You must befriend yourself to transcend yourself.
19. There are 3 layers to a moment: Your experience, your awareness of the experience and your story about the experience. Be mindful of the story.
20. Your mind doesn’t wander. It moves toward what it finds most interesting. To improve focus, become curious about what’s in front of you.
21. Life continues whether you pay attention to it or not. I think it’s why the passage of time is so scary.
22. High pain tolerance is a double-edged sword. It’s key for self-control but can cause us to override the pain of being out of alignment.
“Safety is not a question of a lack of threat. Safety is the presence of connection.”
– Gabor Maté
I gasped seeing these images of a smartly designed living/working space. It was designed by Italian designer Guglielmo Poletti for his own studio in Milan.
“Our connection with other people is only as solid and deep as our connection to ourselves. In order for me to be connected to you, I have to know who I am. I have to be connected to myself. And I think what we end up doing is we end up desperately searching for connection with other people, when we have no idea who we are!”
– Brené Brown
“The most precious gift you can give to the one you love is your true presence. So the first mantra is very simple: “Dear one, I am here for you.”
– Thich Nhat Hanh
I have clearly fallen down a Ludovico Einaudi rabbit hole and I am loving it. This 2010 Royal Albert Hall Concert is an absolute dream. I recommend listening with headphones!