Yesterday I posted ideas on how to meet a romantic partner, outside of soul-sucking dating apps. Here is my post on Instagram. 2,830 likes and 261 comments later it’s clear this hit a nerve. Reposting it here with some resources my readers shared:
Can we talk about dating apps? Yeah, let’s not.
I can’t help but think there has to be a less soul-sucking way to meet someone!?
– what if we all tried to level up as friends and played matchmaker once a month?
– what if the dogpark had an unofficial singles section?
– what if there was a piece of clothing/accessory that indicates someone is single and open to meeting someone?
– what if friend groups pull together and create a database with their most awesome single friends and write a pitch about them?
– what if the first train on any subway train is only for singles?
– what if in giant high-rise buildings certain elevators are reserved for singles
– what if we organized events where everyone who is invited is single but nobody knows they are attending an undercover singles event. (And the group is recommended by friends aka vetted.) @hugc, @lessthanamazing and I organized such an event a few years back. Should I bring it back?)
– what if there was an event where people made presentations on their single friends. “PYF” (Pitch Your Friend)
– coffee shops have differently colored coffee cup lids for singles
– once a month singles dress monochromatically, all red for the day. (Gaaaah sooo fun!)
(Granted some of these ideas could possibly be very awkward. But ideas beget ideas!)
Do you have ideas to add or have you met your partner in an unexpected, fun way? Please share!
In the comments I learned that:
Apparently in Norway when you go hiking in the mountains, green buffs or hats mean you are single, and red mean you are in a relationship. SO GOOD!
In Bavaria, Germany, it all comes down to how you tie your bow on your Dirndl that indicates if you’re married, taken, single or even widowed.
Dating services, events some of my readers shared:
Have an interesting story on how you met your partner? Have additional ideas to add to the above list? Comment below!