This egg holder makes your soft-boiled egg look like it just landed on your plate, from outer space. Made me smile.
I know what I am making this weekend: Caramelized Apple Tarte Tatin.
Food Huggers are silicone ‘food hats’ designed to save that half of a lemon or an apple you don’t want to throw away. The Avocado Foodhugger alone is a total winner, no? foodhuggers.com
The new Nomiku Sous Vide immersion circulator looks fantastic. If you like to be a nerd, even in the kitchen, Nomiku is for you.
“A salad with too many walnuts or a sauce with too many capers is like a Sunday with too many free hours – you stop appreciating the pleasure they provide. I think about that when I cook. Put just enough sweet cubes of carrots in a soup, and you won’t have to search too hard to find one, but when you do, it’ll still give you a little thrill.”
– April Bloomfield
From the new book called The Chef Says: Quotes, Quips and Words of Wisdom by Princeton Architectural Press
Here’s how you make perfect, crispy bacon:
1. Line a pan with the bacon. You can use a glass baking pan, a steel or aluminum baking sheet, or even a cast iron pan.
2. Put the pan into a cold, unheated oven. Use the middle rack.
3. Set the oven to bake at 400°F (204°C).
4. Set the timer for 20 minutes. It may take a bit more or less time, depending on your oven.
5. Remove the pan from the oven. Place the bacon on a plate (or a plate lined with a paper towel if you’re grease averse).
6. Enjoy the best, crispiest, most delicious bacon you’ve ever had.
Thanks Bacon Method for teaching me to put the bacon in a COLD oven. Ah!
These engraved rolling pins made me smile. You can even get one custom made. Oh, the possibilities!
Good Eggs brings locally farmed groceries to your door. Totally giving this a try!
Making an omelette the Julia Child’s way. 1960s!
This breakfast mold sure would put a giant smile on my kids faces!
The beautifully minimal Drip Maple site and Maple Syrup packaging stopped me in my tracks. Refreshingly modern.
This bottle looking device by Bin Akebono combines eight (!) kitchen essentials in one clever kit. An ideal gift for anyone living in tight spaces. The set includes a funnel, a lemon juicer, a spice grater, an egg masher, a cheese grater, a lid grip for loosening stubborn jar tops, an egg separator, and a 1 1/4 measuring cup. Seriously cool.
This Kale Salad recipe by Smitten Kitchen is so good I had to make it two days in a row. I am raving about Kale!? I guess, I am a real Brooklynite now.
(Thanks for the tip, Jason!)
Pour Mason is a pour-over coffee maker attachment made specifically for Mason Jars. Love the old-school look and feel of it. Also, they’re sold out. (womp womp)
This weekend I was sad-tweeting about how much I miss Punchfork. Luckily, Hänschen pointed me to Yummly. The mission of Yummly is to be the world’s largest, most powerful, and most helpful food site in the world. I’ll give it a shot, for sure.
This made me laugh. Skull Eggs! Brilliant!
The folks at Cuppow just released a smart new product called BNTO. It separates a canning jar into two compartments, making it into a cute lunchbox that can be reconfigured for each kind of meal/snack by using different sizes of wide mouth canning jars. Two swissmiss thumbs up!
I am fascinated by the idea of baking an egg in an avocado. Must try this!
If my apartment was a pasta pot, it would look like this.
This pie with a message made me laugh. Quite ironic.
I know what I am cooking this weekend: Japanese Vegetable Pancakes!
I am all for music videos that feature Ira Glass.
– 8 Ways to Recycle Your Old Smartphone
– YES! NYC’s Expanded Recycling Program to Include All Rigid Plastics for the First Time
– An introduction to Google Analytics for ecommerce
– Touching NYTimes piece: Listen to personal stories of Boston Marathon runners that were right there when the explosion happened.
– Want to learn how to combine typefaces? Tim Brown has you covered! (via)
– This video was shown at the Publishing Luxury Summit to get the audience riled up and thinking positive thoughts about luxury! (thanks Steve)
– My friends at Mailchimp are looking to hire a Software Engineer Intern.
– These Pattern Click Pens make for a really good gift.
– Your manifesto, your culture, by Seth Godin
– 3D color printer that uses paper, not plastic. (via)
– Herman Miller’s best selling office chair sheds 18lbs and piles of plastic to become slimmer, more elegant.
– How To Wash Your Hands In Space
– 25 Summer get-together food and drink ideas.
– I recently bought one of these ridiculously adorable Kikkerland USB Airplane Fans. It’s all kinds of cute and practical.
– 22 Unbelievable Places that are Hard to Believe Really Exist. (via)
– Envelope, a super minimal ipad sleeve.
– Contact Lens Owl Case. All kinds of adorable.
– Three years of the Sun in three minutes. Thanks NASA.
– Makers Gonna Make.
– My friends of Done Not Done are looking to hire a Product Designer, a Frontend Developer and a Python Developer.