– “Your life will in certain ways be a long sequence of different kinds of homework; and – horribly – maths is the easiest version: a beginners guide, almost a pleasure. Poor darling. I love you more than I can say. ” What You Might Want to Tell Your Child About Homework
– “Whereas mentors dole out words of wisdom, coaches roll up their sleeves and get their hands dirty. They don’t just believe in our potential; they get in the arena to help us realize our potential.” Mentors Are Good. Coaches Are Better
– Are you a US based creative professional? Please consider taking a few minutes filling out the 2019 Design Census. The survey will highlight the unique challenges facing creative practitioners in the design industry today. It’s a project by AIGA and Google. Last year’s survey results were really insightful!
– “If I were queen of the world, I would pass a law against private jets, because they enable you to get around a certain reality. You don’t have to go through an airport terminal, you don’t have to interact, you don’t have to be patient, you don’t have to be uncomfortable. These are the things that remind us we’re human.” What It’s Like to Grow Up With More Money Than You’ll Ever Spend(via)
– “Let’s try to invest in the people that pick us up when we’re down, that remind us of who we are. People who know that we are not our brands. People that remind us that we matter exactly as we are.” This talk by Grace Bonney is remarkable. In it she unpacks the noteworthy lessons she’s learned along the way and what truly matters even in this digital age.
– After many years, Linotype, the film, is finally available digitally worldwide.
– Tattly’s collection of temporary tattoos by REAL tattoo artists makes me so happy. If you’re like me, too chicken to get a real tattoo, this is your chance to get a taste of what a tattoo would feel like. This newest design, by German based Lara Maju had multiple people asking me if I got inked. Definitely a conversation starter.
– Did you know CreativeMornings created a digital rolodex for companies and individuals to connect outside of the monthly events? And also built a job board that currently features over 2k jobs?
– There’s a plethora of cool jobs (full-time, part-time, remote, freelance) currently listed on the CreativeMornings job board. (Signing up for a company profile gets you *unlimited* job postings, and quite possibly more clients/gigs.)
– “The amount of love and care you put into a project is always apparent. Even if people are not conscious of it, they can sense when you have paid attention to every little detail.” From Hurrly Slowly
– “I want you to act as you would in a crisis. I want you to act as if our house is on fire. Because it is.” Greta Thunberg, 16 year old environmental activist, her poignant speech at the World Economic Forum can be found here. (via)
– Paula Scher began drawing as an escape. Teachers told her she had no promise or talent. Her parents told her there was no future in the arts. Yet she rose to the challenge and became one of today’s most iconic designers. Find out how.
– Are you looking for advice on landing a design job or having an successful interview? Dann put together a video on some of his personal favorite tips you may not have heard. Some really good tips in there.
– Depth Year, what an interesting concept: What if, for a whole year, you stopped acquiring new things or taking on new pursuits. Instead, you return to abandoned projects, stalled hobbies, unread books and other neglected intentions, and go deeper with them than you ever have before.
– Khemjira Klongsanun ran 19 miles of a marathon carrying a lost puppy she saw on the road, finishing the race with the pup in her arms.
– Stoop is like a podcast app, but for newsletters. Can I point out that this is basically an RSS reader and we could all just go back to having our own blogs, instead of using the newsletter like a blog?
– Listening to news articles? Audm makes that possible. Also curio. I had no idea this existed.
– I have recently developed a slight obsession with trees. Last week I fell in love with this giant Eucalyptus in California. My friend sent me this article on how you can heal yourself with tree energy. I am into it.
– In this Hurry Slowly episode Jocelyn talks with Cal Newport about his new book Digital Minimalism, the benefits of a 30-day digital declutter, and how managing your “attention capital” is the secret to getting ahead.
– A note of gratitude: I was invited to speak at Google yesterday and I was overcome with a giant gratitude wave. I realize I am living a very fortunate life and want to acknowledge that here. Thank you for reading my blog! I appreciate you visiting my little corner of the internet.
And, some of you have been reaching out to me, worried that the Friday Link Packs would be history. Don’t you worry. I was just really busy over the past few weeks and couldn’t give it the time it needs. We are back!
– If you’re constantly needing to access your brand assets (such as logo, colours, fonts, etc.) Brandy allows you to put them in a dedicated little space in your menu bar and keep them in sync with your whole team. (via)
– I regularly go through my quotes archive to unearth some gems I have forgotten about. Fascinating to see my personal evolution in the quotes I saved over the years. You can see all of my collected quotes from the last 13 years here.
– “They measured three types of perfectionism: self-oriented, or a desire to be perfect; socially prescribed, or a desire to live up to others’ expectations; and other-oriented, or holding others to unrealistic standards.” The Problem With Being Perfect
– Proud of my team’s approach to the Black Friday Sale: Tattly is donating proceeds to DonorsChoose, supporting art teachers and their projects. Discount code HEARTART30 gets you 30% off until Monday night!
– Thank you Onsen for sponsoring my blog and RSS Feed this week. (Their towels are *the best*!)
Cool jobs to apply for:There are over 1,200 jobs listed on the new CreativeMornings job board. Search full time, part time, contract, remote, freelance, internships.
– My friends at FictiveKin in Brooklyn are looking to hire an office manager and executive assistant.
– That grating sound a chip reader makes to tell you to remove your credit card? It’s called “sonic trash“: a sound that’s unpleasant, distressing, and degrading to everyday experiences. And the cognitive and emotional effect is greater than you think.
– CreativeMornings is nurturing a rolodex of creative companies and a job board, helping you find your heart-forward creative collaborators. Our events open hearts, these tools open career doors. I am happy about this evolution.
– A big thank you to Ode to Things for sponsoring my blog and RSS Feed this week. Their website, the products their curate, are a visual feast.
– Tattly Tins make dinner parties more fun. Also, perfectly fit in stockings.